Monday, July 30, 2012

Lindsay Nohl: We want a Pitcher (plant)

PitcherPlant_LindsayNohl_rpt_sm

I spent about two last night coloring, drawing, working and swearing over this one -- then I scrapped it. Pitcher plants are weird. They kind of look like snakes, a little bit like those tooting pipes (anyone know what I'm talking about?) in old Mickey Mouse Cartoons, and sort of creepy.

PitcherPlant_LindsayNohl_lgrepeat_1000px
Here she is in her full glory!

My second attempt at this pattern went a lot better and I tried a technique I haven't used in patterns for a while. I have this really nice brush pen that I used on a rather bumpy piece of drawing paper. The effect was a little dry-brushy and looked a lot more rough than I usually draw. I like it.

pitcherplant_lindsayNohl_detail_sm
AAAAnd a closeup!

Even though these plants are pretty wild, I think the final came out pretty peaceful looking. I chose the green type of pitcher plant and I'm looking forward to seeing how everyone else does this one! It was hard!

pitcherplant_process_lindsaynohl_inkdrawing
The Scan of my ink drawing! Unedited!

1 comment:

  1. Hi - possible to get a print or artwork of this to frame on my wall? Marydangerdoll@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete