Monday, January 28, 2013

Alyssa Nassner: Tropical Vanilla





First off - Hooray! I finally have permissions to post my own patterns! I hope you enjoy my tropical rendition of the vanilla bean. This pattern started as a bunch of brush pen sketches in my sketch book (similar to this and this), until I remembered a pattern lesson taught to me by the great Lindsay Nohl.

Quickly putting my formal knowledge to the test, I assembled this floral repeat in record time. I spent the most time on the color, which is always the most fun / difficult part. If you're looking for some on-trend color inspiration check out The Ultra Bright, it's totally awesome, and I ended up using some of their color trend to develop my palette for this pattern.

I wanted to put a tropical spin on this pattern for a few different reasons. A. I'm desperately yearning for some Summer sun, and B. those colors are super different than what I normally do, so it was a fun experiment.

Fun fact: this entire pattern was created watching Silent Hill: Revelation - so inspiring.

2 comments:

  1. This is so awesome! I'm really intrigued by your sketch. I think I might have to try and see if I can figure out what you did. :) Anyway, love the color palette too. It's really fun, and I'll be looking into that site you suggested!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ask Lindsay! She's the pro - it's basically a tessellation / jigsaw puzzle piece for pattern building. I can email you the repeat chunk too if you're interested :)

    ReplyDelete